Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The roof is caving


Literally.

A section of the roof in our crappy student house crumbled to the floor the other day. Actually, it was around 4 am when I was awoken by a loud banging noise. [Side note: Since my laptop was stolen from inside the house recently (while Amanda was there alone!) I've been a little on edge when I hear creepy sounds inside the house and I've become anal about locking both doors at ALL times]. My first reaction was to check to make sure the doors were locked. I woke up Louis who was sleeping soundly beside me in his little dog bed for back-up. Having no particularly sharp or weapon like objects in my room to grab, I prepared my keen reflexes and fists of iron should I need to bring the motherfucker down (yeah right). I made Louis go first seeing as he generally goes ape-shit if he hears a noise or senses an unknown presence. Luckily, he didn't start barking, although he did stare at me sleepily, looking rather confused. Still unconvinced I made him come with me to check out the dark living room.
Without warning he ran to the corner or the room behind the couch and started vigorously sniffing. I started to feel the blood pulse through me as I tried to figure out what it was he was smelling or looking at. The entire thing was out of a Lassie movie...except slightly twisted.
]
"What is it, boy? What do you smell? If it's a rapist, bark twice, okay?"

His tired and aimless expression left me thinking that he had probably found some long forgotten food from beside the couch. At this point I was beginning to wonder if I hadn't dreamed the entire thing. I double checked the locks (the backdoor was unlocked...whoops) and then my little friend and I went back to our respective beds.

In the morning on my way out the door I noticed that a part of the ceiling had fallen beside the couch where Louis had been sniffing (smart little pooch). Now there is a giant, gaping, moldy hole in the ceiling. Any character this house once held is now lying in pieces on the carpet.
I called our landlady on Sunday, she has yet to call me back. I guess it doesn't even matter. She is so cheap she'll probably just paint over it and tell us how rough she had it in the home country.

May 1st will never come soon enough.

No comments: