Sunday, October 18, 2009

Le transit, le Goûter, et les rêves français

I've realized that I've been only posting once a week (Sundays are usually the best days for me to write). But I hope to change that as I did acquire an Ethernet cord yesterday and now have a more stable internet connection. Hurrah!

Alas, homesickness has started to set in as I knew it would. My french is getting slightly better and I am adjusting to life here in France, but I am missing my hunny something dreadful. Thankfully, with my stable internet connection, I was able to see him over Skype yesterday. Bliss! Which reminds me, if anyone wants to chat over skype, add me! It's a bit tricky with the time difference, but I'm sure we can work something out.

As I am feeling more comfortable in my surroundings, and seem to find my way to work without any trouble, I've pushed back my morning commute time by half an hour so I arrive 15 mins early instead 45 mins early. But there are some disadvantages that come with traveling during peak hours. Last Thursday I experienced several of them.

After arriving at my first transfer I raced to catch the train along with at least a thousand other people. I didn't make it on my first try, and when the second train arrived I thought ''oh, there is no way I'm going to fit in there.'' And before I could finish the thought I was squished into the train by a woman in neon yellow vest. I felt like I was on the train in Tokyo. I spent the next five stops pressed up against an old French fellow who smelt like he'd not only had a few, but perhaps spent the night with his mouth under the beer tap. Can I just say that it was 7 AM!

At the next junction, I noticed that something didn't seem right. There were far too many people standing around and not enough train movement. I started to panic as I couldn't really understand what the woman on the overhead announcement was saying. She was speaking too fast. Eventually I figured out that there had been an electrical failure and we needed to board another train at another track. I followed the crowd, tried my best to understand the announcements and hoped for the best. Long story short, I arrived an hour and twenty mins late for work. And on the way back it was the same thing. In total I spent two and a half hours at work and five hours on the train. Blegh. Oh well, at least there wasn't a strike.

I still haven't been out doing touristy things around Paris yet. I really should be, but I just haven't found the will power to go by myself sight seeing after I get home from work. On my days off I sleep in, eat, help clean up around the house, look for apartments online,write e-mails, go for a run, eat some more and then make my lesson plans, etc. After this week, I'll have two weeks off, so I plan to do some sightseeing and traveling around then. I'm trying to not be so hard on myself about it. I have to keep reminding myself I've still only been here just short of three weeks.

What experience I've lacked in Parisian nightlife and culture, I've certainly made up for in french cuisine. There is deliciousness all around me. I've really taken to ''le Goûter'', a meal around 16:30, (similar to high tea), dedicated to all things bready and sweet. It's perfectly acceptable to slather nutella on everything, to have pain au chocolat twice a day, and of course, to eat half a baguette with every meal. I can't quite seem to understand how the country isn't obese, although I have seen some larger people too. Sorry Madame Guiliano, some french women DO get fat. Even as I've been writing this, Claudine has asked me seveal times if I have eaten something yet, and why don't I come eat some breakfast. Had to take a break to have a bowl of cereal and taste the artisan bread she had just bought fresh from the market.

Last week during my lunch hour I found myself with out any baguette to munch on, and suddenly the meal became lacking. What was I supposed to sop up my stew withÉ* My handÉ Pffft. Where was the breadÉ

*(Oh btw, my keyboard has turned itself french so I no longer have use of my question mark key. From now on, or until I figure out how to change it, this symbol: (É) represents question mark.)

Thankfully the weather is more temperate here and I've been out running lots. Yesterday I even accompagnied Lisa to the local pool. Claudine told me I was to make her swim lengths with me, but after about 6 lengths Lisa was tired, bored and itching to get in to the wave pool. I was equally as tired of trying to make a 7 year old do something she didn't not want to do, so off to the wave pool we went and stayed there until I told Lisa I was getting dizzy from all the head stands and waves. Floating around in an over heated wave pool counts as exercise, rightÉ

My father will be happy to know that I have finally started dreaming in french. They aren't long dreams, and who knows if the french is even correct, but my subconscious is working hard to make sure I'm fully submerged in the language at all times. At this rate, I'm bound to be fluent by Christmas!

...yeah right.

1 comment:

klandoni said...

This post made me want a pastry.