Thursday, October 22, 2009

Miscommunication

Today while playing the Hi, how are you today? game with the little french kiddies I misheard a students response to why he was sad as "because my father is dead" instead of "because I miss my father." Shocked, I responded back in English, "you're sad because you're father is dead?" He nodded with a solemn face, clearly not understanding me, and asked me to teach him how to say it in English.

"You say, 'I am sad because my father is dead,' okay? Repeat after me: My...father...is...dead."

Thankfully another student who was watching our conversation overheard the miscommunication and promptly corrected me.

"Mais, Maîtresse! Son père n'est pas mort! Son père lui manque!"

Oops!

These early morning starts really mess with my comprehension. Or so I'd like to think.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh, Stevie, thank you for that pick-me-up at quittin' time. I lol'd for real.